Friday 12 June 2015

Paid Vs Unpaid Gigging (or: Open Mics Are Awesome)

My vlog this week was about me being a bass player for ten whole years


And in making the blog it got me thinking about gigging:

I want to compare two gigs that I played a couple of years ago, one was paid, one was not.

The first gig was at a tiny little pub called The Settle Inn. I'd been booked to play last at a regular monthly event called the Cave of Wonders (which is a fantastic gig for both performers and audience). I went on, played my forty five minutes, and it was one of the best gigs I've ever played. It was a tiny space and the audience were inches from me. They were dancing, bouncing, singing and I was feeding off their energy. It was hot, it was sweaty, it was insane, but it was a fantastic gig. I was fortunate enough to record the whole gig.

The second gig was at a place called TwentyRocks (now closed) I'd been booked to play a two hour set in the middle of the afternoon. It was a big place, and it was first time I'd played that long a set before. The place had recently been redone as a music venue and it used to be a sports bar. I set up, I had football on behind me the whole time I was playing, and the place was empty, other than the odd person requesting Oasis.

One of these gigs was paid, guess which one?

I got paid £50 for playing at TwentyRocks. I nearly gave up music after that gig, it was so bad.

I've met a lot of musicians who refuse to play gigs unless they're paid, and I can see the logic. There's about dozen of those pictures with text on them floating around Facebook comparing being a waiter or barman to being a musician and how unfair it is to not get paid. I get that, we are doing a job, and most of the time there's transportation, accommodation and food to think about, it makes sense we should be getting paid to perform to people.

Paid gigs are tricky though. It depends on what the venue is looking for. For a while I did a regular slot at a jazz club in Glasgow. It was £50 per gig, I turned up, I played to whoever was there, I got paid. There was never any pressure to bring people, they just expected me to do my job, which I did, and I had a great time. At its best I was playing to a packed jazz club and I'd get back to the bar and there'd be drinks waiting for me that customers had bought (my record was seven G&Ts after a particularly good night) and at its worst I was playing to the bar staff at the back of the room and they were really nice guys.

The other side of that was a restaurant that asked me to play for them as background music. I played to a basically empty room for two hours, and then the manager was annoyed at me for not bringing a crowd into his business (he also paid me in £5 notes which is an asshole thing to do, makes it look like they've paid you more than they have). The place closed about a month later, I think I was the only musician to play there.

I should probably address pay-to-play gigs here. Basically you only get paid if you sell a certain number of tickets. I hate this. If you're good at plugging and nagging and/or have a lot of friends it works, if you're like me though, it's hard. The worst thing is that often there's no scaling for solo artists and bands, so they both get the same number of tickets to sell. I once had to shift twenty five tickets for a gig, I was the only solo artist on the bill. The other bands got twenty five tickets, but each band member only had to sell five to make up the numbers. Luckily I've never been charged for not selling my tickets, my saving grace is that my act tends to impress people.

While I understand the 'don't work for nothing' ethic, I don't think free gigs should be disregarded. The difference between being a musician (or indeed any 'arty' job) and a barman or waiter is that there isn't really an application process. There's no job interview or CV submission, we have to prove how good we are by demonstrating our skills, on in some cases, showcasing our popularity. There's also infinitely less pressure on you to bring people and it gives you a chance to experiment without worrying about whether or not the booker will like it or not. Some of my best gigs have been ones where I haven't been paid.

There is a limit though. If you're only playing free gigs and more often and not you're playing to an empty room (as was the case with my first band) you need to reassess. If you're wanting to make a living from music there needs to be a feeling of progression. Everyone starts out playing to empty rooms (or at least they should) but then the rooms fill, and then you start getting paid and the rooms empty again, only to (hopefully) fill up again.

Another way of looking at it was put to me by a friend, he was studying marketing and said playing too many free gigs can be detrimental. Yes more people will see you regularly, but when it comes to a gig where you have to charge people to see you, they're less likely to pay up when they know they can see you, for free, doing the same set somewhere else the week after. Junebug (my band) has got around this by only announcing our big ticketed events in advance, and our free gigs on the day

It's probably worth mentioning open mics as well. When I was living in Stirling there were two really good open mic nights every week and I'd try and go along to at least one of them every week. Becoming a regular at an open mic gives you a regular crowd, a lot of whom will also be performers, who you can test new material on. There's one song on my upcoming E.P that went through three or four different versions, all of which were tested at the Junk Jam open mic (which I believe is still going on, I really hope it is)

So in short: paid gigs can be good, sometimes bad. Free gigs can be good, sometimes bad. Open mics are awesome

Next week I'll be blogging about making music for films, as I've spent the last few days working on a soundtrack and it's essentially all I can think about right now.

Until next time

Devsky

No comments:

Post a Comment