Tuesday 30 June 2015

Forgotten Ideas and Recording for Fun

Last week I was resting as I had a few exhausting shifts at work (including a Saturday that took me to 4am) which triggered a few sleepless nights meaning I couldn't make any videos and/or write anything.

I did however, make some music. I posted a video on Facebook showing a small electronic song I made while playing around with some new synth plugins (because I can't afford a real synthesiser...yet) and I remarked to a couple of people that it felt a bit direction-less and that I wish it was for something. I've said before how much I prefer making music for other people or for a purpose.

However last night after work I was up on Skype with the team behind the film I keep talking about, doing the final mix. I was told we needed some music. With no time to make anything new I started scouring through my (rather large) back catalogue of music I've made but not released for whatever reason. I found a short bit of guitar music I'd recorded while coming up with ideas for my E.P (which is still on track for a September release!). It worked and will be used in the final film. As I mentioned in my soundtrack blog, the main theme for The Cyclist came from a demo I'd recorded and forgotten about, so it's not the first time I've recorded something and then come back to it later on.

I was thinking about this today. I've stopped recording every little idea I have. When I was back in Aberdeen I had access to all my instruments and I had didn't have to set up all my recording equipment each time I had an idea as it was all set up in the spare room. Right now I've got Beverly with me (as always) but other than her I've only got my little Korg Nano pads. The Nanokey is doing me wonders right now, but it'd be nice to have a slightly bigger keyboard I could play with both hands, right now I have to record them separately.

my current workstation, laptop's below the camera...on a wooden chair, bass and mic are to the left


It is something I need to start doing again. I'm lucky to have a very good working relationship with the highly talented film maker that is Sarah Grant, so much so I know there's nearly always going to be something to work on (which for me is a super good thing) and having all these little fragments of music stored up means there's always something I can check if I need something quick.

With all the composing I've been doing recently, it seems I'd stopped enjoying making music for the sake of it. Getting back to that I think will be difficult, but the thought that whatever I'm making may come in handy later, is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment